B&L smartphone accessories is a Germany-based e-commerce business
selling smartphone accessories for premium smartphones (e.g. Apple
iPhone XS & Samsung Galaxy S9). The company was registered as a GmbH
(German limited liability company) in August 2016 in Munich. The company focuses
on branded products that are simple in their design but offer good
protection of the device without compromising its design.
Over 70 SKUs can be ordered via European Amazon Marketplaces (DE, FR,
UK, ESP, IT), with further traffic sources coming from a branded
affiliate webshop, Instagram and Facebook pages. Products are shipped
worldwide via FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon).
- Length of operations on Amazon (since May 2015)
- Very high reputation as a seller (1,208 ratings at 4,9/5 start), similar across all Amazon marketplaces
- Private label products („B&L smartphone accessories“ a unique and protected brand under German law)
- Freedom to run business from anywhere in the world
- Multiple potential ways to grow business worldwide e.g.
possible expansion through other sales channels as well as
diversification of product portfolio (leveraging on existing top-seller
profile and existing analyses)
- Excellent relationship to trustworthy suppliers
- Short lead time from purchase order to products landing in Amazon warehouses
- Further exploitation of marketing offerings on Amazon (PPC
campaigns, vouchers, headline search ads and branded webstores) as well
as external traffic sources (e.g. Google AdWords)
- Expand product offerings within and across categories (proprietary analyses on attractive product categories exist)
- Sell products through alternative channels, e.g. Ebay, Idealo, etc.
- Customer support (0,5 hrs/week): About 7
inquiries per week. Most are about shipment information, questions on
products or invoices. The owner takes this as a chance to make customers
advocates of the brand by delivering high quality and personalized
- Tax filings and financial reporting (1 hrs/week): Maximilian can teach new owners on efficient ways to do this
- Planning and purchasing new inventory (2 hrs/week): Inventory
tracking via Seller Central ans easy-to-use inventory management tool;
Communicating orders to well-informed and trained sales managers on the
- General Administration (0,5 hrs/week): Minor operational issues to be discussed with seller service
- Fulfilment (0 hrs/week): All orders are
fulfilled by Amazon and “Thank you emails”, order confirmations,
invoices and emails with tracking information are being sent to the
customers automatically via Amazon through a third-party service. If
products are out of stock, Amazon sends emails automatically, suited to
your personal procurement cycle.
- Production/Assembly (0 hrs/week): All processes to assemble the branded and custom packaged product are fulfilled by trusted suppliers
Marketing & Business Dev.
- Marketing (7 hrs/week): Marketing
activities make up most of working hours, including the analysis and
maintenance of existing marketing campaigns, creation of new product
listings and optimising existing ones, content creation for branded
stores on all Amazon marketplaces and analysis of affiliate web page for
traffic; Workload depends on expansion efforts
- Business Dev (0 hrs/week): Currently no
time is spent on business development. There are interesting options to
explore such as new products within the smartphone category or exploring
new product categories, as well as exploring new marketing tools
Customer Profile & Segmentation
Our target market is independent of age groups and gender and focuses
on owners of premium smartphones across all major brands. The German
Amazon marketplace accounts for 71% and 77% of traffic (last 6 months,
last 12 months, respectively), followed by Italy (17%, 13%), UK (6%,
6%), Spain (4%, 3%) and France (2%, 2%).
Note: Traffic measured in # of sessions
Further customer and revenue segmentation can be provided at a later stage.
Currently, no paid advertising is used to acquire traffic. Almost
100% of traffic is driven by SEO. Hence, CAC for new customers are
Currently, no retaining campaigns are used.
About the Seller
Maximilian has completed a B.Sc. in International Business at the
University of Maastricht and holds an M.Sc. in Finance & Private
Equity from London School of Economics & Political Sciences.
Currently, he works as an Investment Banking Analyst at J.P. Morgan.
Maximilian has always had a passion for e-commerce and is responsible
for Finance/Legal and procurement activities at this firm.
Lorenz has completed a B.Sc. in International Business at the
University of Maastricht and holds an M.Sc. in Computer Science from
University College London. He is an incoming associate consultant at
Bain & Company and is responsible for customer service/platform
marketing (SEA) and SEO activities at B&L smartphone accessories.